Tuesday 3 January 2012

6.10.2011 • elusive

In the mornings the world is fresh and raw. I often awake into a day whose cares I had in my sleep forgot; I never remember my dreams, almost.

Looking back to October last, early modern English inversions tongue-in-cheek, to my first poem in a long time. The conditions under which it was written, um, elude me.



elusive

My capacity for poetry
e​‏‪‪ ​‏‪‪ l​‏‪‪ udes me.

The times we live in,
strewn in
forlorn values
and across the old
marble staircase of my dreams
of my dreams

such are the times we live in
commas lost in the threadbare livery of time
(and punctuation is the vehicle of articulate thought)
drowning in a spoonful
a spoonful
a spoon full of water
of water and salt
sucking it up like a sponge
like a sponge

I should write a song


The other day I mistook
an eye for an eye
(is punctuation the vehicle of articulate thought)
an eye for a mouth
I mean
oh the times we live in

I mistook my life
for the fancy of a god
long-lost in the twisting
staircase of my dreams
a flight of long stares
and inarticulate sighs
sucking it all up
like a sponge

I wanna write a song
but the words stick
to the sides of my throat
left right fore and aft
port and starboard
articulate little fuckers
with mouths for eyes
crying LOUDER LOUDER
in their mute voices
and I just want to cry

I wanna write a songs

No comments:

Post a Comment